Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Celebrate on the Water

Independence Day is my favorite day of the year. Yep, even more so than Christmas. It is because of the fireworks over the lake. We always leave not long after dinner to give ourselves plenty of time to grab a perfect spot for watching the spectacular show which gets better every year. We anchor our boat loaded with friends/family right next to the point at Turkeyfoot Lake Park where the pyrotechnics are shot. We can see them as they shoot out from the beach, up over the treetops and over our heads. Why do I like fireworks so well? I guess it is the kid in me. For years before they were ever displayed over our lakes (or before we knew about them) we would take our four children to Lake Anna in a nearby town for every Labor Day celebration to watch the fireworks. It was always the night before they went back to school in the fall. No use in putting them to bed...they wouldn't have slept anyway with the anticipation of a new school year. I guess part of the reason I like them so well is because our friends/family enjoy them so much as well. It is a bonding experience.

Our daughter who lives about 500 miles away likes to time her family trips so that they can be here July 4. It is special to her as well.

We have traveled to see other fireworks displays, but none can measure up to ours here. Someday, however, I would like to go to one of the fireworks competitions held in Canada. I guess we will need to haul along family and or friends in order to really get the bang out of them.

1 comment:

  1. It's my favorite day of the year too, but only if I'm there to watch the fireworks! If I'm not there probably Christmas is my favorite. I love to hear the kids excited and wake each other up to go see the presents.

    ReplyDelete