Sunday, May 16, 2010

Thrift Shopping

Any citizen in the US lives better than most in the rest of the world. At least that is the way things have been. I know there are people in our government who do not understand economics and think that is not fair. (They don't get the fact that when we do not have discretionary money, we can't buy goods and people who make those things are out of jobs.)


We do all right. But I am reared from conservative stock. Growing up hearing stories of the depression impacted me. My father was the oldest in a family of seven sons. They lived in a small town in Texas and were the children of the town's shoe repairman. As a man, he kept accurate accounts of how all his money was spent. And none was wasted. He used everything until it could no longer be repaired. He saved everything. Some of that thrift rubbed off on me. But I was surprised as could be when my husband suggested stopping at Salvation Army to find a suitcase to carry our purchases home from Hawaii. As usual, I hadn't spent a lot. I had picked up a few inexpensive, but bulky items. I really didn't check to see how it worked out... didn't look into the cost of shipping. (The items were not heavy.) But he was so proud of himself that I let him bask. I think the airline had just changed their policy that very week and charged us $20.00 for that extra bag...but it only cost $15.00 at Salvation Army and that money was probably put to good use.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I wouldn't mind going thrift store shopping in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete