Sunday, July 11, 2010

Patience is a Virtue



At the top, Chelle leans against the footbridge over the Tuscarawas River in Firestone Metro Park.

Up the river is a heron standing oh so very still, patiently waiting for a fish to swim by him.

The heron is patient, but our grandchildren are not always. They are being raised in a world where things, like TVs, computer games and organized activities, keep them entertained all the time. I can remember as a child sitting in a tree for long periods of time, all alone and just thinking about things. But most children don't have the chance to do that type of thing today. And if they did, it would be BORING to them. So it is understandable when they try to sit on the dock and fish, it is not easy. They have fun as long as they are catching fish one after the other, but that doesn't always happen. When these pictures were taken, we had waited until it was too warm and the fish weren't biting well. The kids also had to contend with seaweed. Mason caught a bluegill, but Aussie and Ashley didn't and that wasn't very enjoyable.

I myself certainly have adapted and fit into this instant gratification society. I want things to work and I want them to work now. But while I am impatient with things, I generally am able to keep calm and be collected with people. I understand they are as I am, imperfect. I realize they have bad days that stress them, etc.

Oh that I could be patient today. Ironically, I have become upset because I can not find a verse in the Bible that says simply, Patience is a virtue. I was sure it was in there, but with all my searching, even on line, I don't find those exact words. I have finally decided that I'll have to go with verses that say it in other words.
For example: I Corinthians 13:4 says "Love is patient". Love is definitely a virtue and it is patient.

Maybe that is my biggest problem. I do not love my computer. Okay, no more excuses.

I've been called to be patient. Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control." I must assume that is with things as well as people. I have work to do on that.

Now for the big confession. I have not been patient today, period. I am asking God for forgiveness and I must also ask those with whom I have been rudely impatient to forgive me.

Tomorrow is another day, for the Bible tells us "22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

I know that I can start over and try harder and perhaps tomorrow, I will be a more patient lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment