Saturday, October 2, 2010

Don't Let the Little Child Inside You Fade Away



The first layout of three today shows the group of us who went to Amish country yesterday. We first visited the Smucker's factory store. These people were friends of our friends, Linda and Al. We really enjoyed the trip and their company.

This picture was taken at our second stop: P. Graham Dunn, where they make wonderfully designed Christian pieces ...everything from small laser carved signs to carved benches. They also have lovely prints. All have Bible verses or Biblical thoughts carved or hand screened on them. ) It was a good thing I wasn't buying anything, because I would have never been able to make up my mind as to which one I would take home. I have a small one at home that reads, 'Be still and know that I am God.' We all need to do that more often.

The last stop, before Ron and I had to leave their sides and head home (while they attended a festival) was to an Amish farmhouse, where an older husband and his wife opened their kitchen to us and served us a good old fashioned Amish meal, prepared personally by them without the modern conveniences that are so common today. They seated the 12 of us at a long, long table and began to serve us lots and lots of food. There was chicken, ham, salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, noodles, bread and jams, and grape and banana cream pies for dessert.

In addition to having a fine and plentiful meal we enjoyed talking to them about their lifestyle. For one thing, I learned that they do not all do things the same way. Individual sects have a little different practices, but all are wonderful good servants of each other and the Lord, Jesus Christ.

I spent a lot of time on the second layout today. I had the idea of John wanting to play with his son Caleb. We age, we grow up, but we still have a need to play deep inside. Children can bring out the little kid in us all. I worked quite a while trying to develop that idea. It finally came together and I'm pleased.

The last layout is of me at 2. I haven't put one of these on for some time, because I had a twinge of guilt come over me for being so self centered. Why would anyone ever want to see more than one or two of me as a child??? But I keep being drawn back to it. I have so many pictures and I enjoy the memories that come to me as I work on them. I also have learned to look at them closer and some are bringing up questions that I can not answer. I wished I had done this before everyone had passed on who knew.

The day was a good day with good people. And that reminds me of something I read a couple days ago. Many Muslims are converting to Christianity around the world and the number one reason they give for doing so is the loving lifestyle of the Christians among them.

Let's remember that and endeavor to live the life Jesus demonstrated for us while he was here on earth. It is attractive and we will be blessed.


1 comment:

  1. Please don't stop doing layouts of yourself growing up. I love them! I haven't seen many of these pictures. And if you don't do them then they will be lost forever. I will never know who's who if someday I would get that box of pictures. This is one of my favorites. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete