Tuesday, November 2, 2010

When I Was a Child

When I was a child, I had a very positive attitude about school from the start. I enjoyed it all the way through, even in high school when my books were piled high and I burned the candle on both ends to keep up with all the homework. I liked it enough to study and become a teacher. Still positive.

Today, I'm not really happy with the way some schools turn out children who can't make their own way in the world. It isn't totally the fault of the students. It is ours. We protect them from competition and hard work. We fill their school days with drivel instead of facts and reasoning. We teach them to fall into line. We should understand how we place them on sinking ground by not teaching them how to handle facts and adversity.

This past two years has been a hard lesson for many who had no idea what they were getting into by voting their hopes. They have had to face reality. I pray that we have all learned a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment