Saturday, March 5, 2011

YOLO



While in Florida we were dealing with one car that had to be used by Robin's family as well as us girls. The evening we had decided to visit The Green Flash Restaurant on Captiva Island the car had to go to the airport as well.  So we opted to be dropped off fairly early.  When we arrived, we quickly realized it was much cooler there because of a very cool breeze. Naturally I, being the most sensitive to cold, did not bring my jacket.  While Robin got our names in, for we knew there would be a long line, three of us walked up the street in search of a jacket . We were very lucky to go into the first shop we found. Although it did not really carry clothing  (They sold  parasailing trips,etc.) they had one style of sweatshirt...very big ones.  It read YOLO.  I was pretty desperate and it was nice and warm, so I bought it and put it on before I left the shop. When several people complimented me on my shirt right away, I started wondering why...was it because YOLO meant something I wouldn't want to be wearing??? I didn't find out until I got back to Ohio and googled it.  Thank goodness, it only means "You only live once."
Perhaps they thought I had been wind surfing or something else daring.


One does just live once and that is why many now have their bucket lists of things they want to do before they die. 


We in the states are relatively safe from losing our lives too early unless we run with the wrong crowd and participate in criminal activity, so some have long lists. 


In some parts of the world, however, there is constant danger.   Take Afghanistan, for example. But would you believe that a much, much worse place to be is right across our southern border in  Juarez, Mexico? It's true!


Per capita, a person was 30 times more likely to be murdered in Juarez than in Afghanistan in 2010.


Knowing this makes one wonder why our government can continue refusing to secure our borders. Does it not trouble you?





No comments:

Post a Comment