Thursday, April 14, 2011

1948 Vacation



Back in 1948, it was a big deal for us to go on a family vacation, even if it were to see relatives in West Virginia.  I don't really know whose house this was, but evidently we visited someone who lived there.  We took a big Greyhound bus. It was quite an adventure for me.

I've thoroughly enjoyed working with these pictures from my childhood and reminiscing. We were poor, but I didn't know it.  We had all we really needed.  No car, or indoor plumbing, but we did have a roof over our heads and heat.  My mother sewed, so we had clothing.And we had a camera.  Not a fancy one, but it did take pictures which help me now to resurrect memories.

 Often details are gone and sometimes I don't remember the where, when, or why of a picture.  It's even difficult to figure out in what year some were taken and often I have to do that, because many of them were not dated.   And to complicate matters, in 1955 my mother evidently had discretionary money and printed up pictures from the past that she hadn't been able to have done professionally before. So, many of the pictures of me at 5 through 10 have the date OCT 1953 on them.

Why is it now, mothers think they have to go to work and leave their kids with others, when their husbands have jobs?  You know the answer as well as I  do.  They want the children to have THINGS.  Well, let me tell you, children profit from having their parents around to love and teach them much more than they do from having things.  Having so much just teaches them to want more and more. A person can NEVER be satisfied with material things.

If you are out of work right now, and many are thanks to the policies in Washington, I am so sorry. I have close friends who are suffering major setbacks at this time. But if you have a roof over your head and heat, clothing and food at the present time, sit down and thank God. Don't worry about tomorrow.

Matthew 6:34 

34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment