Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter 1949

Taken from my last book... Easter 1949.

I missed a lot as a child by not having brothers or sisters. My dad's large family (including all six of his brothers) lived far away in Texas and we rarely saw them. My mother had older foster parents after her mother died in childbirth when she was about three days old.  She met her blood relatives as an adult. Two of her 4 sisters lived in Akron and two lived in West Virginia as did her two brothers,  half sister and father. We saw those who lived near quite a bit, but on holidays it was just the three of us and our dogs.

I know only children are supposed to be spoiled and if it had been entirely up to mom, I probably would have been.  But my dad's main child rearing objective was to not have that happen.  He was tough on me. I don't mean rough, since I was readily obedient most of the time.  Just one look from him let me know in no uncertain terms that I had better behave.  He taught me many lessons and I appreciate it now.

One thing about being an only child...there is no guessing who did what.  If something went wrong, I was always the one to blame.

Dad had lots of wise sayings that would pop out at the right times, such as:  A stitch in time saves nine,  play comes after work is done,  it doesn't pay to be penny wise and pound foolish,  early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise, and don't cry over spilt milk.

Many times he would ask me if I just talked to hear my head rattle.

And he expected good grades. He didn't really say it or put pressure on me, I JUST KNEW.

These pictures were taken of us Easter Sunday, 1949.  Cookie is the brindle dog in the pen and I'm holding Blondie ( her offspring)  in another picture.

I hope your Easter is a great day of remembrance because Jesus the Christ gave his life for your sins and mine, so that we could live forever.  I also hope you are able to share the day and hope with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment