Friday, July 8, 2011

We the People




We the people of Portage Lakes plan and fund our own fireworks. Since they are privately funded, cost is an issue...unlike if the government were doing it with our money for which they have no regard. 

Traditionally they  are  on July 3 at the lakes. I'm not sure of all the reasons, but I do know they get a reduced rate since it is not  on the holiday, so the demand is not that heavy on that date.  

I did very well to keep the number of my pictures to 94 when there were 30 minutes of continuous fireworks. It is the fewest I've taken. It may have been because I couldn't catch a breath between launches. I downloaded many wonderful, colorful photos, but for some reason I was drawn to this one with four different launches that fit  together beautifully, even though they were not colorful.

I was thrilled to have patriotism back in the music this year, even if there wasn't as much as I'd like.  The song that began the fireworks show was 'America' sung by a full  voiced black woman.  It was absolutely beautiful.  Last year's celebration was marred by it's 'me' generation music, so I was thankful for the few selections chosen for their connection to Independence Day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment