Saturday, August 17, 2013

Both Good and Bad Multiply


A few years I found this large flower at the end of season and brought it home. It has continued to multiply year after year. It now provides the area near the  lake with large bright flowers for much of the summer season.

It's so good to see good things multiply, but those things that are a detriment to society seem to be multiplying at a dizzying speed....things like irresponsibility...selfishness, etc.

This email has been making the rounds. It is attributed to a certain young doctor. I don't know if he said it or not, but I know it to be a good example of what we are dealing with at this time here in the states.

"During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I  had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive  shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate  and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who  chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ring  tone. While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her  payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of  her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of  cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I  contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of  a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result  of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable  to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to  take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a  culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want  to because someone else will always take care of me."

Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility  and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care  difficulties will disappear.


 The letter is rightly attributed:  
Snopes.com: Dr. Starner Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment