Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Results of a Bum Knee



My knee had been giving me trouble for at least  6 months in May. I had been through  Physical Therapy and had been doing well. However, after our vacation in Colorado, we flew back to Ohio. We usually fly non stop from Denver to Akron, but we had a different airline this time (free miles). We had to change planes in Chicago. It was not a bad trip, but trying to keep up with Ron in the airport in Chicago was the last straw. My knee gave up and left me hobbling. Finally, we came to a place where we could easily pick up a little shuttle to get me to the departure gate for Cleveland. But it was too late for my knee. I had to be wheeled from the arrival gate to our parking lot.  I felt like a little old lady. (I forget to look in the mirror these days.)  

When I arrived home, I basically went to bed for a week, using the walker above when I had to be up for some reason or another. My leg was improving with the rest...in some ways, while getting weaker from the lack of exercise. 

By the time I got to the knee doctor it was decided that I would need surgery on it. However, we were expecting several or our kids to visit us this summer and I didn't want the operation to  affect that or my 55th high school reunion. So we scheduled the operation for late in July, the 22nd.  By then, I really needed it.  

The operation itself went well, the anesthesia made me sick, but I was able to go home the same day as the arthroscopy. I was under the impression that I could go back to my busy schedule in a couple of days...well so much for that thought. It is now August 3. I just started Physical Therapy again yesterday and I'm really slowed down...will be working on recovery for at least a month.  As they say, getting old is not for sissies. 

Now one thing is for sure...I have lots of time for the computer. In one way that is good. I've published another book and have a good start on another...but I also read all the news every day. With is being an election year, there is lots to read on both sides.

Now, if it were not for knowing that God wins in the end and He is in control, I would have been so depressed by now that I wouldn't even be able to lift my head off the pillow.  Thank God for comfort through this and God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment