Friday, January 13, 2017

PRETTY DRESS



I can't resist posting these pictures of John with little Julia and her pretty dress. The picture of her on Santa's lap will not be remembered by her Christmas dress ;) So I just have to show her cute little self in this traditional dress. What a doll she is, says her Gramma.

I am seldom as enthusiastic as I am when I speak of my children and grandchildren. they are so special to me.

However, some days I feel less enthusiastic about what I am doing...things I really need to do. I need to be motivated at all times.

Well yesterday, in my email, came a piece by Rick Warren that addressed that need to me. I finally read it today and really like what he said. Perhaps you will as well, so I'm copying it here for you...

To Get Enthusiastic, Get in God
By Rick Warren — Jan 12, 2017

“Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, 
serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, 
faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:11-12 NIV).
In order to reach your goals, you have to figure out how to maintain
your enthusiasm over the long haul.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Nothing great is ever accomplished
without enthusiasm.” I believe that with all of my heart. I have found
it to be true in my life. You’ve got to have passion, you’ve got to have
enthusiasm, or you’re never going to make it to the finish line. 

Most people would consider me an enthusiastic person, and I am.
But I haven’t been an enthusiastic person for a week or a month. My
enthusiasm has not waned over a year or five or 10 years. I have
been consistently enthusiastic about the goals that I’ve set for more
than 30 years.

How do you do that? How do you stay enthusiastic day after day in
spite of delays and difficulties and dead ends and problems and
pressures and criticisms? How do you stay enthusiastic for more than
30 years?

Positive thinking is not enough. Pulling yourself up by your psychological
bootstraps is not enough. Talking yourself into optimism is not enough.

The way you stay enthusiastic for a lifetime is found in the word
“enthusiasm.” The word “enthusiasm” comes from the Greek phrase
en theosEn is the Greek word for the English word “in.” Theos is the
Greek word for “God.” So en theos means to be “in God.”

When you get in God, you will be enthusiastic. It’s the kind of enthusiasm
that isn’t affected by the economy or the weather or your circumstances.
It’s eternal because you are tied to the eternal God. You are in Christ.

Paul tells us how to do this in Romans 12:11-12. He says, “Never be 
lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful 
in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (NIV).

If you want to reach your goals this year, you need to get God’s power by
being joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.

Pray this prayer today: “Dear God, I don’t want to go another day without
you in my life, controlling every part of my heart. I offer you my body. I
dedicate myself to you. In light of all you’ve done for me, I give myself as
a living sacrifice to you as a spiritual act of worship.

“I humbly admit that I need help. I want you to help renew my mind. Help
me to think the way you want me to think. Please forgive me for my pride.
I don’t want to think more highly of myself than I should. My faith needs to
grow, and I need your help to set goals that can be measured so I can
manage them. Forgive me for trying to change on my own.

“I want to fill my life with love. I want to fill my life with you. Help me to get
group support. Help me to take delight in honoring other people, to focus
on giving my life away so that you can take care of my needs. I want to
nurture my enthusiasm by being in you. Help me to be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. I give myself to you.
In your name I pray. Amen.”



No comments:

Post a Comment