Monday, September 9, 2013

Pleasant Surprise


Mary and I discovered that I was her first grade teacher.  It happened at Curves. We girls do a lot of talking. Not sure why I mentioned I had taught school, since I only did for a few years. When I mentioned Lakeview, Mary asked what years I taught...thinking maybe I could have had one of her kids.  We were both very pleasantly surprised. She didn't recognize my name because I was still single then. When I heard her maiden name, I remembered her. I went home and found the class picture for that year in an album and took it for her to see today.  Everyone at Curves got a big kick out of it and one of the 'girls' took our picture for this layout.

There was another little girl in that classroom who means a lot to me. She is the last girl seated in the second row. Her name is Kim.  When school was out that year, her father, who had come to all the PTA meetings, called to say that Kim would miss me very much and asked if I would go out for a boat ride with them. I said sure. We went that weekend and discovered our birthdays were one day apart. Mine was the next day and his the day after. He took me to dinner. We had what we called a gospel meeting that week at church and he went every night. In less that three months  we were married. Kim was our oldest and there were three more, another girl and two boys...They were a ready made family. We raised those four and had two more. We have lived happily until this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment