Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oh Dear, It's a Deer



My son-in-law, Tim is a hunter. When we were there for Thanksgiving he disappeared for a few minutes then returned with about a dozen pictures, saying that I had asked him for pictures for years and  he had found these down at the cabin. Wow. They were taken in 2008 and I was finally getting my fingers on them.  I could hardly wait to get home and do my stuff.  However, being up against the Christmas season, I got very busy and didn't get to them.  

Then I've been sick the last week and not really up to doing anything at all.  Finally today, I glanced at the pile of photos on my desk and it was time. I remembered his stories about being in his tree stand with the bow for hours waiting for the perfect shot.  To me that would be perhaps the most boring thing I could do.  But not for a hunter. It was his peaceful place.  

I was so happy to have the pictures here now.  

I kept most of the shots for page 2, but I'm publishing the first page tonight. Tim is in his pick up truck with the deer he shot. It's a big buck.  I remember seeing that rack after he got it back to PA. And I believe as well that was the same year he prepared a venison feast for us...my very first.

Oh, and I shouldn't mention this now, but I can't help it. I love deer. At our last house, they played in our yard. Deer have beautiful bright eyes and they look so very gentle. Once as a child, I was able to feed one out of my hand at a place in WV where a man had tamed several. If I allowed myself to dwell on this, it would break my heart to see this one here in the truck.  However, I realize  that one of God's reasons for creating animals was to provide food. It is all part of His plan. I have to look at the big picture, not just at the way they can turn me to butter with those soft eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment