Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Day Late


My dad used to say, it is "a day late and a dollar short". It just came to mind as I sat down to post the layout I wasn't able to post last night. Hadn't thought of that before...I wonder when that saying came to be. Anyone know?

I have to apologize to my Apple. My problem last night wasn't it's fault at all. It was the fault of the tinkerer who is always trying to make things better for me and my computer. His expertise is with Microsoft, not Apple. Sometimes he fails to help and has to return the computer to its last configurations. Doesn't that sound like I know something? I don't. But I have heard lots of computerese over the last 40 years.

Now you have the cute picture of our triplet's smiles.

1 comment:

  1. I called the library to ask if they could find out where that phrase came from. He said it comes from a latin phrase and is from so early on that we probably don't know where it came from and he gave me this answer:

    Uno die sero et una mina carens is the Latin equivalent of 'A day late and a dollar short'. In the word by word translation, the numbers 'uno' and 'una' mean 'one'. The noun 'die' means 'day'. The adverb 'sero' means 'late'. The conjunction 'et' means 'and'. The noun 'mina' means 'a Greek weight, a Greek measure of metal weighed out as money'. The gerund 'carens' means 'being without'.

    Now with that being said, I tried to investigate it more on the computer to find out that he probably gave me this answer to look smart and appease me. Because I only found where someone asked what is this phrase in latin. (eyeroll) So I'm guessing no one knows.

    I love the layout by the way!

    ReplyDelete