Friday, May 9, 2014

1956



It was a good year. It was a very good year. I was 13. I was sheltered by the world, especially my neighborhood, church and family.

Not so in 2014. It is impossible to shelter a child these days.Profanity is yelled on the streets, on the radio and TV, even by clerks serving in stores.  One is safe from that only in church, a quiet closet (if one could find one without a TV, radio, or telephone reception, alone in the deepest woods...you get the picture.

Tonight we had company and sat down to watch a movie with an innocent sounding plot. It was so filled with cursing that I had to excuse myself. Others say that they hear it everywhere and can no longer be shocked. I'm sorry, but it 'offends' me. Now, if I were a liberal I would just demand that no one use those words. But I do believe in freedom, so I'm left with the choice of protecting myself from that type on thing. As I explained to my friends tonight. I don't want to be in a nursing home when I am old and losing my self control and start to swear like only a sailor did once upon a time. So I try to keep my ears away from such talking.

How about you? Have you been desensitized? What do your children hear each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment