Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy where you are?

Deitz Landing has had a restaurant as long as I can remember. And although my short term memory is sometimes fading, I still remember years back.

I've lived here at the lakes since I was three, except for about 10 years when I was away at college, when we lived in Mount Vernon for a couple of years and 3 1/2 years in Westwood, Massachusetts. Yes, I can still spell it.

The lakes have been my real home all those years. I'm not sure why anyone would want to leave. Yet, we have 6 kids who have all left for different states. Now that there are no children at home, I don't like to take summer vacations anymore. Because when I do, I wonder why I ever left. The same goes for fall and spring. Of course winter is different. I wouldn't mind missing much of that...as long as I experienced one good big snow sometime during the season.

Oh, back to Deitz and it's restaurant and new owners who have done a great job with the menu. I liked it before, but it is very good now. I'm glad Tim suggested we take the boat over there for lunch one day of our birthday week. We totally enjoyed the time on the water and the tropical feel there on the deck.

Are you happy to be where you are? There are times when we must live in places that are not our choice. And sometimes, it just really doesn't matter where we live because there are overwhelming circumstances that grab our minds and won't let go. Life isn't fair. Sometimes it isn't joyful, happy or peaceful. We really were never promised a 'rose garden'. We all have those sad experiences, so we shouldn't ask, "Why me?"

Is there a secret to being content in every situation, no matter what is going on in your life? According to the Bible the answer is yes--whether we're rich or poor, sick or healthy, God provides a spirit of contentment to replace the feelings of bitterness or envy that we're otherwise prone to. Philippians 4:10-12 Pick it up and read it some time. It can be a blessing to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment