Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NO better Word: TACKY


We girls have had a 'tacky' ornament exchange every Christmas for years. This time I found it very hard to find something tacky.  I don't know if it is because I didn't shop in the right places, or if it had to do with the economy and stock was cut down somewhat...and what better things to cut?

This year we ran into a snag...the global warming has drowned us in snow this year and the night of our party was no exception.  Terrible driving conditions kept us home on the only night we had found that all  those in the state could meet.

We postponed it until January 11, the next time most could get together. And wouldn't you believe it, bad weather, icy streets hit us again.  But we were determined.  I had the farthest to drive, so I left my house really early expecting to get up to the party town before the roads got too bad.  Too late. About 1/3 way there I hit pure ice and there were three lanes of traffic all going 5 miles an hour or less for many miles.  It took me and hour to make a 1/2 hour trip.  But having prepared ahead, I was not late.  I also thought to take pjs with me so that I could spend the night with a friend.  The next morning there was six inches on snow on top of my car.  Al Gore just isn't talking loud enough,  or God just isn't paying attention to him.

Well we had a good dinner, celebrated Phyllis' birthday and exchanged our gifts.  I think we need a new word to describe these unfortunately terrible Christmas tree ornaments. 'Tacky' just won't do it. From left to right. Jane received the ugliest thing I've ever seen.  What is it? We don't know.   What does it have to do with Christmas?  We don't know. Next Paulette was fortunate to get mine. I had to 'make' it since I couldn't find anything 'tacky'.  I bought a snowman ornament frame and put in it a picture of our smug President. He is the ultimate 'snowman'. He sure did snow a lot of people before the '08 election.

Then Jill got a spongy ballerina .  Yuck.  At the bottom, Sali got, not ornaments, but Christmas decorations,  big, ugly felt poinsettias.  Teresa received a large pink chandelier...perfectly awful for a tree and I got a plastic musical note, which wouldn't look bad on a kid's tree, but wouldn't quite make it on my angel tree.

The next morning I left just after rush hour to take advantage of the roads having been cleaned. However, it was worse than the night before and it took me and hour and 1/2  to reach my house.

This is our last year for tacky.  We've had  enough. We'll be choosing another theme next year.
And we're hoping for a different president as well.  Wow, that would be the ultimate Christmas present!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Is it the skinny turkey that made it through Thanksgiving but wound up as a Christmas ornament instead?

    ReplyDelete